Often vilified by foes and the late nineteenth century press as a foul-mouthed group of cheats, in reality, the 1890s Baltimore Orioles were a dynasty which fielded numerous Hall of Famers and used “small ball” along with sound defensive principles to appear in four straight Temple Cup series. Graded 20 Fair 1.5 by SGC. Produced by the Betz Studio of N. Washington St. in Baltimore, the offered 1894 Baltimore Baseball Club cabinet was released during their first title appearance. One of only four total specimens judged by SGC, the 4-1/4 x 6-1/2” antiquity pictures sixteen members of the championship squad, eight of whom would later be enshrined at Cooperstown. The cameos depict the players in formal attire complete with identifiers beneath their oval images.
Subjects include: Bonner, Brodie, Brouthers, Clarke, Esper, Gleason, Hanlon, Hawke, Hemning, Jennings, Keeler, Kelley, McGraw, McMahon, Reitz and W. Robinson.
The perimeter displays moderate wear and limited surface abrasions with the upper right corner sustaining additional chipping and fraying. Most importantly, the ornate design scheme of the canvas is absent of any significant detractors. The blank reverse exhibits superficial and uniform foxing due to prolonged storage. Interestingly, the poses are exact replicas of the decidedly scarce 1894 Alpha Engraving issue. An impressive nineteenth century “Charm City” diamond artifact from a season in which the Orioles first captured the hearts of their home city.